Stats and Strengths
The College of Sciences is NC State’s home for the physical, chemical, mathematical, statistical, biological and earth-system sciences. With more than 4,100 students and about $40 million in annual research expenditures, we're one of the largest and most research-intensive colleges at the university.
World-Class Scholars, World-Changing Research
College of Sciences faculty and students are working across disciplines to solve society’s greatest challenges and make bold new discoveries. We’ve compiled a select list of national honors received by our faculty.
- 530 active research projects
- About $40 million in research expenditures annually
- More than 1,000 graduate students
- 35 winners of highly competitive faculty early career awards since 2010
- 1 member of the prestigious National Academy of Sciences: David Aspnes (physics)
- 14 elected fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Nation’s leading producer of doctoral degrees in statistics since 2003
- Fifth nationally in total R&D expenditures in mathematical and statistical sciences
- 4 winners of 2020 Alumni Association faculty awards
35 Winners of Faculty Early Career Awards Since 2010
These highly competitive awards from national agencies are among the most prestigious honors young faculty can receive.
Producing Tomorrow’s Science Leaders
The college is committed to diversifying the science and mathematics pipeline and promoting science literacy nationwide.
- More than 4,100 students
- 16 bachelor’s, 23 master’s and 14 doctoral degree programs
- Fall 2020 first-year class profile:
- 1318 average SAT score
- 4.32 average weighted high school GPA
- 48 percent in top 10 percent of high school class
- Producer of a significant portion of the nation’s African-American math and physics Ph.D.s over the last decade
- The Science House education and outreach program, with offices across the state, serves 4,000 educators and 150,000 students annually
Partnerships That Advance Science
The college works with nationally recognized partners to advance science knowledge.