Alumni and Friends
The college offers many opportunities for our alumni and friends to engage with our students and faculty. Join our growing network of supporters who donate their time and energy to the college's mission.
Alumni and friends just like you are the foundation of the College of Sciences. Our dedicated volunteers, working in coordination with the Office of Advancement and the College of Sciences Foundation, further the college’s goals by building relationships, communicating with constituents, and securing private funding for education research and service programs.
Supporters who want to engage with the college can attend an event, mentor a student, sit on a career panel or host an alumni gathering. Contact Brock Matthews at email@example.com to learn more.
College of Sciences Foundation
The NC State College of Sciences Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that promotes the educational, research and service programs of the college. Its Board of Directors supports the college through personal advocacy and securing private funding for priority programs.
Board Member Benefits
- Association with faculty and students engaged in cutting-edge research, teaching and educational outreach
- Opportunity to influence the quality and direction of College of Sciences programs
- Opportunity to collaborate/partner with leaders from business, industry and the scientific community
- Opportunity to enhance preparation of the future workforce, including access to potential interns and employees
- Opportunity to provide needed technical and professional expertise to a successful charitable educational organization
- Involvement in meetings and social occasions with internationally recognized mathematicians and scientists
Board Member Responsibilities
- Become familiar with the mission and programs of the college and the Foundation
- Attend two board meetings per year and participate on at least one working group
- Serve as an advocate for the college with your community
- Identify potential partners for the college and “open the door” to potential donors for staff
- Identify and recruit potential board members
- Contribute personally/corporately to the Excellence Fund at a leadership level of the Dean’s Circle
- Establish an endowment (or make a major gift for current use) through an outright or estate gift during your time of service
- Interest in the sciences and a desire to influence the excellence of its teaching, research and outreach programs at NC State
- Ability to develop contacts and propose partnerships which advance the academic mission of the college
- Willingness to communicate through business and social networks on behalf of the college regarding its successes and opportunities
Assistant Dean for Advancement
Alumni Advisory Board
Members of the Alumni Advisory Board act as ambassadors for the college, promote its achievements, encourage more widespread alumni engagement, and provide financial support.
Director of Alumni and Donor Relations
The college presents four annual awards to outstanding alumni, friends and students. The recipients are honored at a dinner hosted by the college each fall. To nominate someone for one of these awards, contact the Office of Advancement at 919.515.3462 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Distinguished Alumnus Award recognizes alumni whose exceptional achievements in business, education, research or public service have brought honor and distinction to college. In addition to being honored by the college, each Distinguished Alumnus recipient is recognized at a university-wide awards dinner. (Previous Recipients)
- The Zenith Medal for Service recognizes alumni or friends for distinguished contributions or advocacy that significantly advance the college’s ability to make powerful impacts on science, the economy, the environment and the quality of human life. (Previous Recipients)
- The Outstanding Young Alumni Award recognizes accomplished early-career graduates who have excelled in their chosen professions or through public service. (Previous Recipients)
- The Student Excellence Award honors a senior who is considered a student leader and actively pursues leadership roles within the college and across NC State through community service, philanthropy, campus involvement, research or in the classroom. (Previous Recipients)