Information Technology (IT)
The College of Sciences Information Technology team assists faculty, staff and students with the use of information technology in teaching, research and daily work. Contact us by email or through the NC State Help Desk.
Welcome, Daniel Lucio!
- Daniel comes to us from the National Institute for Computational Sciences at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. He has been an HPC specialist since 2008 and has supported the XSEDE system. He has previously worked as a research assistant, teaching assistant, systems administrator and software developer. He holds a Master of Computer Science degree with an Interdisciplinary Graduate Minor in Computational Science from the University of Tennessee at Knoxville.
- Daniel is an experienced instructor, recently serving as an adjunct faculty member in Business and Computer Technology at Pellissippi State Community College. He has been a highly sought-after trainer with the Southeastern Universities Research Association and has taught workshops on a variety of subjects from Python and Linux to parallel programming and supercomputing.
- In his new role in the College of Sciences, Daniel will provide expert consulting on research computing, Linux and HPC, explore innovative and emerging technologies including the Internet of Things and cloud computing, manage the College’s Linux infrastructure and teach workshops on a variety of topics. Daniel is the NC State XSEDE Campus Champion.
- Daniel’s office is in 4221-B Broughton Hall and his email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- OIT and Sciences IT are partnering on the development of a proof-of-concept for a mobile app that utilizes Internet of Things (IoT) technology. When someone is using the application and approaches a location with an IoT beacon, the app will provide contextual information about the physical environment, such as the research that is being done in a building or its history.
- Long-term plans are ambitious and include integrating data from many sources such as Peoplesoft SIS to provide real-time information that is relevant to the user. Learn more about the Imagination Corridor at https://sciences.ncsu.edu/news/campus-like-nowhere-else/