Meet the Solomon Scholars
Nineteen extraordinary students were part of the College of Sciences’ signature undergraduate scholarship program in 2018-19.
The Daniel L. Solomon Scholars Program is named for the college’s inaugural dean, who spent more than 30 years at NC State before retiring in 2015. Solomon Scholars are selected based on academic achievement, scientific leadership qualities and distinctive life experiences. The program is currently made up of 16 named scholarships.
Last academic year, the program awarded $90,000 in scholarship support and more than $18,000 in experiential funds from a $3.3 million endowment. In addition to renewable scholarship awards, the program offers community-building activities and experiential learning opportunities to help students develop their leadership skills. Donor support is crucial to funding these scholarships and opportunities.
The 2018-19 class of Solomon Scholars represented 11 fields of study and had an average NC State GPA of 3.6.
2018-19 Scholars (with graduation date)
- Molly Amon, Dean’s Circle Scholarship, Zoology (December 2019)
- Victoria Campos, William A. Kleschick and Leslie A. Bjelk Scholarship, Genetics (May 2022)
- Leigh Dement, Lawrence H. Bowen Scholarship, Chemistry (May 2022)
- Marc Diard, Dean’s Circle Scholarship, Marine Science (May 2020)
- Bethany Furry, Eric C. and Rita L. Bigham Scholarship, Chemistry (May 2022)
- James Goodnight, Linda Balfour and Robert Hill Scholarship, Meteorology (May 2020)
- Jordan Jarman, John S. and Dellaine A. Risley Endowed Scholarship, Physics (May 2021)
- Katelyn Kiser, Collins-Presnell Family Scholarship, Biological Sciences (May 2022)
- Christian Lancaster, Ronald, Anne and Dave Tilley Physics Scholarship, Physics (May 2020)
- Gabriella Mamlouk, Mary Ruth Boroughs Dean’s Scholarship and W. Earl Bardin First Union Excellence Fund, Biological Sciences (May 2019)
- Claudia Mesa, Francis E. McVay Scholarship and J. Ralph Stump Scholarship, Statistics and Economics (December 2018)
- Kate Mills, Thomas S. Teague Memorial Scholarship, Statistics (May 2021)
- Alexander Mink, Dr. and Mrs. Michael Peirson Dean’s Scholarship, Applied Mathematics (May 2022)
- Dhuru Patel, Dean and Gail Bunce Scholarship, Biology (May 2021)
- Michael Rehnberg, Goudes Merit Scholarship, Meteorology (May 2020)
- Ben Stemen, Lawrence H. Bowen Scholarship, Chemistry (May 2021)
- Jaye Sudweeks, Solomon Scholars Experiential Learning Award, Applied Mathematics (May 2019)
- Sreeram Venkat, Richard R. Patty Scholarship Award, Physics and Applied Mathematics (May 2021)
- Peyton Wood, Francis E. McVay Scholarship, Applied Mathematics and Statistics (May 2020)