The renovation of the
Bureau of Mines building near the Brickyard on North Campus has opened up new work and study spaces for Sciences students.
The building also houses College of Sciences administrative offices including the Office of Academic Affairs, a group of professors, advisers, administrators and staff members who are committed to supporting students.
Take a look inside this new campus space.
The Bureau of Mines was constructed in 1945 as a research station for the mining, quarrying, metallurgical and other mineral industries. Its recent renovation has created new gathering spots for students and new offices for college administrative staff.
A patio outside the front entrance provides space for work or socializing.
The building is located between Broughton and Cox Halls near the Free Expression Tunnel on NC State’s North Campus.
Inside the front entrance, a lobby offers comfortable seating and ample space for study groups and events.
Exposed brick throughout the building gives common spaces a warm and inviting feel.
In the upstairs mezzanine area, large floor pillows allow students to spread out and get comfortable.
The renovated building includes offices for Sciences administrative staff, including Dean Chris McGahan. This conference area is used primarily by the Office of Academic Affairs. Other offices with a presence in the building are Advancement, Finance and Business Management, Human Resources, Information Technology and Marketing and Communications.
A larger conference room offers space for events and meetings of faculty, staff and administrators.
Large windows throughout the building give work and study spaces plenty of natural light.
The building has been used for a variety of purposes. In the late 1950s, it was home to experiments in nuclear physics and atomic physics. NC State’s first nuclear reactor was housed in the building until it was superseded by newer equipment in the Burlington Engineering Laboratories. The building was then converted into an office and research facility, which it remained until its recent renovation.