Five Questions: Nikki Price

Editor’s Note: Nikki Price is the College’s assistant dean for culture, talent and human resources. This post is the first in a series that profiles faculty and staff in the Sciences Dean’s Office. Read the other posts in the series here.

What brought you to NC State and the College of Sciences?Nikki Price

I came to NC State in November 2000 from UNC-Chapel Hill. NC State is highly respected in the field of human resources for being innovative, creative and forward thinking. I saw this as an opportunity to continue my education and work toward my career goals.

The chance to work for and with high-quality professionals is what brought me to the College of Sciences. I saw an opportunity to use my strengths and abilities as the new college was created, and I jumped on it. One of my goals is helping others achieve their goals, which is why I love human resources and enjoy performing that function in the College.

Could you share some details of one of your most interesting recent workdays?

Every day at work is interesting, but one day in particular comes to mind. I had meetings scheduled every hour and needed to approve the monthly payroll, finalize four active employee relations cases, review about 12 recruitments and respond to about 50-60 emails. The day could have been stressful, but I am very fortunate to have a phenomenal staff who are very quick learners. Also, it helps that I choose to find humor in most things. On that day, I had to duplicate myself, and I am proud to say that, as a team, we accomplished everything.

What are you passionate about outside work?

My family and community. I am very fortunate to be married to a wonderful, supportive husband. We have four girls. The teamwork we have at home allows us to raise our two younger daughters (Kyra, 8, and MaKayla, 5) and support their dreams and goals. Our girls are award-winning spellers, dancers and softball players, which, as you can imagine, requires some travel on our part and a lot of practice time. I volunteer with the youth in our local church and assist with food pantries and clothing drives for the less fortunate. My true passion is serving and helping others, and that starts for me at home and in the community.

What’s one thing your colleagues probably don’t know about you?

While pursuing my undergraduate degree, I was a bouncer (security) in a downtown Durham nightclub. This experience actually ended up helping me with the employee relations and investigations parts of my position. It taught me to respond to challenges, rather than react to them. There is very little I haven’t seen happen, and I am extremely patient in situations where emotions run high. Once you have broken up fights between two huge men, dealing with someone’s attendance issues pales in comparison.

If you could take an all-expenses-paid vacation anywhere, where would it be, and why?

Maui and the Big Island in Hawaii. My husband and I honeymooned in Kauai and Oahu for two weeks. It was very peaceful, and we really enjoyed ourselves. When we left, we said we would love to visit the other islands one day. So if you’re paying, that’s exactly where we would start.